DEALING WITH DIETARY PROBLEMS
Nausea and Vomiting : To combat morning sickness, small and frequent meals are preferred.
Constipation : Increased fluid intake and use of naturally laxative foods such as whole grains, dried fruits and other fruits, vegetables rich in fiber, juices usually induce regularity. regular habits of exercise and sleep are essential for proper elimination
Pica : Consumption of non food items like laundry starch, gum ice cubes or clay occurs more often during pregnancy than at any other time, especially among women with iron deficiency
Avoid these foods
1.raw or partially cooked eggs, raw or undercooked meat, unpasteurized milk and raw vegetables as they carry bacteria like E-coli, salmonella or listeria
monocytogenes which cause Listeriosis,salmonellasis, campylobacter infection and toxoplasmosis.
2. FDA and environmental protection agency recommends that one should avoid eating fish that have high level of mercury like shark, swordfish or mackerel.
3. Liver and liver products ( pate, liver sausage ) should be avoided, too, because they may contain largeamounts of the retinol form of vitamin A, too much of which could be harmful for your developing baby.
4. Cheeses with white, 'mouldy' rind, such as brie and camembert, and blue-veined cheese like stilton
5. Papaya as it contains the enzyme papain. Research has shown that this acts like prostaglandin and oxytocin - hormones generate by the body to start labour or to strengthen labour contraction.
6. Avoid alcoholic drinks during pregnancy. Drinking too much alcohol can cause physical defects, Learning disabilities, and emotional problems in children so many experts recommended that you give up alcohol while you are pregnant.
7. If you smoke, it is best for you and your baby that you give it up completely the sooner and better
8. You might want to cut down on caffeine, too. Why is caffeine a potential problem ? research has linked consuming more than 300mg of caffeine a day
with an increased risk of miscarriage and lowbirth weight